When do children start school?
Children attend Coton Church of England Primary School between the ages of 4 and 11, entering our Reception class at the start of the academic year in which they become five years old. We recognise that some children will enter school just after their fourth birthday; our admission arrangements are designed to enable each child to settle well and to become confident and happy in school. We strive to respond to children’s individual needs. Over the first two weeks of reception, children are welcomed into school part time, building up to having lunches at school, before joining Coton as pupils full time.
Getting to Know You
Once offer letters have been sent out, pre-Reception children and their parents are invited into school. Parents are given the opportunity to meet with class teachers and children are able to find out about our Reception classes at our Getting to Know You sessions, and during a Fun Afternoon, in the summer term. A New Parents’ Information Evening is also held in the summer term.
Children who have a Statement of Special Educational Need (SEN) / Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) that names the school will be admitted. NB. Those children with a statement of SEN / EHCP that does not name the school will be referred to the Statutory Assessment Team (SAT) to determine an appropriate place.
In the event that the school is oversubscribed, places will be allocated according to the following Cambridgeshire oversubscription criteria:
1. Children in Care, also known as Looked After Children (LAC), and children who were previously Looked After but ceased to be so by reason of adoption, a residence order (now known as a child arrangement order) or special guardianship order ;
2. Children who appear to have been in state care outside of England and ceases to be in state care as a result of being adopted.
3. Children living in the catchment area with a sibling at the school (or partner infant/junior school) at the time of admission;
4. Children living in the catchment area;
5. Children living outside the catchment area who have a sibling at the school (or partner infant/junior school) at the time of admission;
6. Children of members of staff, providing that they have been employed for a mimium of two years and/or are recruited to fill a vacant post for which there is a demonstrable skills shortage.
7. Children who live outside the catchment area, but nearest the school as measured by a straight line.
Transition to secondary school
Children leaving this school normally attend Comberton Village College in nearby Comberton.
The college serves the needs of 11 to 18 year olds . We have close links with the college, and our Year 6 children will get involved in all of the transition activities that they offer. Teachers from the college visit our school and teach our children.
If you wish to apply for a place at Coton C of E Primary School you should submit an application to the Local Authority Admissions Officer. The school does not make decisions about places; places are allocated by the LA Admissions Office at:
Cambridgeshire County Council,
Castle Court, Castle Hill,
Tel: 0345 0451370
Parents or carers who wish their child to attend Coton C of E Primary and who are not offered places because the year group is full, will be offered the opportunity to stay on our waiting list. They will also be informed of their right to appeal for a place and information about the appeals process will be supplied by the local authority. Appeals information can be found here: