What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is providing funding of £150 million per annum for academic years 2013/14 and 2014/15 to provide new primary school sport funding. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary schools to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools. Purpose of funding Schools have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they have the freedom to choose how they do this.
How will we be spending the Sports Funding and who will benefit?
Uses for the funding include:
- Subscriptions to the South Cambridgeshire School Sports Partnership which organises sports festivals and tournaments and provides coaches to work alongside our teachers in hockey, netball and tennis;
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport to improve the quality of teaching; providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport and for the PE subject leader to monitor provision;
- Residential visits to outdoor and adventurous centres where children can learn skills such as sailing, archery, high and low wire climbing;
- improving storage and quality of PE equipment.
At Coton we believe that the money must be used so that: all children benefit regardless of sporting ability; that the most able children are given the opportunity to compete in advanced tournaments; that staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development.
We value our links with local primary and secondary schools and sports clubs. PE and sport are an important part of the curriculum for all children at Coton. Two hours a week quality PE are provided for KS1 and 2, including gymnastics, dance, multi skills, games, athletics, swimming and outdoor and adventurous activities. Having a pool on site ensures that all children have the opportunity to learn to swim and develop their swimming skills. Year 6 complete a bikeability course. In addition we take part in a multitude of intra and inter school sports events.
We will endeavour to ensure improvements are sustainable through working with our cluster schools and school community.
- Sport Premium Action Plan 2015-2016.pdf
- Impact of PE and Sports Premium Funding 2014-2015 .pdf
- Sporting Events 2014-2015 .pdf