Allotment Visit January 2022
Following a Geography lesson learning about what makes an allotment successful, on Friday 14th January, we headed to Coton allotments to complete a Geography fieldwork and explore the hypothesis, 'Coton allotments are well-situated in the locality'. We prepared questions ahead of the visit including:
- Are the allotments secure? How? - Rose
- What type of soil can be found at Coton allotments: clay, sandy, silty or loamy? - Harley
- Is there somewhere to park in order to access the allotments? - Amandine
- Is there a suitable water supply at Coton allotments? - Rupert
- What is drainage like? Does the soil drain easily? - Emma
- What is the seasonal produce this time of year? - Noah
Once there, the children interviewed a local allotment holder (Terry) who answered all of our questions. Upon return to school, we created posters to show our findings. We came to the conclusion that Coton allotments certainly are well-situated in the locality!
The children were very inspired by the visit with many of them wanting to sign up for their own allotment plot or eager to begin a school-based project of creating our own allotment - watch this space! We would like to thank Terry (and Mrs Goodwin) for taking the time to support us with this.